Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn also known as The Jet Black Mage is a role-playing video game released exclusively in Japan for the Nintendo DS on December 9, 2010. The game was never released outside of Japan.
The gameplay features turn-based combat with a focus on using imajinn to fight, but not exclusively party members such as Oliver and Shizuku can fight. Players complete quests to progress through the story. Outside of quests, players can freely-roam the world. Players explore towns, villages, dungeons and dangerous places scattered throughout the world, and possess the ability to travel between the world and Oliver's hometown of Hotroit.
Differences with the PS3 game
- Pea, Cassiopeia, Denny, Tengri, and the Zodiarchs don’t appear in this version.
- Breach Time it not in this game.
- Luca donated Belief.
- Oliver and his friends weren’t turned into frogs.
- Oliver and his friends didn’t travel through time to get Mornstar.
- Roman donated Confidence
- Catherine has lost her confidence and her heart piece after her mistake
- The game came with a complete physical copy of the Wizard's Companion. The restrictive cost of localizing and printing this in other languages was the key factor in the decision to never release this version of the game outside of Japan. The game's story is essentially the same as the later release, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, but ends with the defeat of Shadar.